Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Making Moves

I am leaving Tampa Bay Damage and joining San Antonio X-Factor for the 2013 season. I have informed TBD of my intentions. A month ago this would not have even entered my mind but things change, including me, and in retrospect it doesn't seem so unlikely. (Nor did I ever imagine I would be a footnote in any silly season and yet--here it is.)
Last season with Damage was more of a struggle than the triumph I had almost expected and despite enough consistency to finish second in both major leagues the overall result was a disappointment because we expected better. That was followed by a long silent off season that didn't resolve itself until much later than normal. While retaining a significant role with Damage I felt things had changed irrevocably.
Within a similar time frame--the off season--doctors discovered a growth that was at first believed benign but after it was surgically removed earlier this month proved otherwise. I am presently still awaiting the results of some post op testing but I am moving forward and God willing all will be well. (It had been my intention to hold off on any public announcement until all the testing was complete so I didn't have to mention it at all but circumstances aren't keeping to my time table.)
It is amazing what sort of clarity a situation like this affords. I don't recommend it but it has led me to a new beginning.
Which brings me to X-Factor. First I want to thank Alex Martinez and the whole team for making my move possible. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to getting started. Second I want to explain briefly why X-Factor. My evaluation is that this team has been thru the wars and retained a core of highly experienced and talented players while adding some motivated youthful talent that brings with it a new energy. They have won together and they have lost together and they have made a commitment to each other and displayed a fresh hunger to succeed. What more could anyone ask for? See y'all on the field.

20 comments:

TJ said...

I'm so pumped to see X out there this season. They have always been close to making the cut, so hopefully you joining them will help push them over the edge.


Good luck in '13!

Neal said...

wow, didn't see that coming. Best of luck and well wishes for the post op results. You gonna fly to Texas all the time?

Unknown said...

X Factor should be really tough this season. I love all the off season moves.

Nick Brockdorff said...

Wow, big move!

And all my best wishes on your illness - I hope it is all taken care of in short order, so that you can continue to enrich all of us in paintball with your insight.

Baca Loco said...

Neal
No--just for practices and Dallas PSP.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the health issues. I hope it all works out!

Now, being more cynical, you might wonder if you just gave us a little bit of the inverse bad news sandwich.

-Bad news that makes fans / former teammates upset at you.
-Even worse news that makes everyone sympathize with you and no longer upset.
-Reminder of bad news with hopeful expectation that it's inspiring.

You're a sly dog you.

sdawg said...

Looking forward to meeting you at XFactor's field. I'll be the guy wearing the DPA t-shirt.

Unknown said...

Paul Richards is the best! TBD coaching or in Xfactor!!!
and excellent person !!!

Baca Loco said...

3:44 Anon
I like your version best so that will be the "official" VFTD version from now on. The truth is sadly far less sly and clever. Since it may prove an ongoing issue I decided I didn't want to lie to friends which meant the word would eventually get out. This way I control it and there's no need to keep bringing it up.

Unknown said...

Paul - Thank you for all your insight into this crazy world called "Paintball". We at WFC will always keep you in our prayers and wish you and X-factor the best of luck this up coming season - Looks like my son and I will have to add another team to the cheering roster - Damage, Upton, and now X-factor! Thank you Paul - we will be in touch...

dan. said...

Hey Paul,
it's dan from katana. Wish you the best. Had i known just a week ago when you were up i would have shared some of my cancer experiences. I don't talk about it much, most people don't know, but yes i had cancer. And thank God i can say Had.
i'll answer anything you need to know, been through it all.
Godspeed and see you in Dallas.

Grant Harrison said...

Paul wishing you all the best for 2013 on so many levels... it's a whole lot of unexpected news to take in but given your resolve I am confident you will tackle all challenges head on.

Ed said...

Good luck, Coach.. So sorry to hear about your illness but glad it seems to be working out for the better. You can always go back to playing for your original team Voodoo.. We'd love to have youb ack on the field lugging 15 pods and turretting it out there..

Anonymous said...

Stay strong man, people come out of it all the time. My mom went through some nasty cancer stuff really long term and during a tough time in her life, just keep your head up and don't let it (or life in general) stress you out!

As for X-Factor, HELL YEA. One of my favorite teams... Damage was up there too but I have always loved watching X even when they were climbing the ranks.

Gabriel said...

Good luck with the test! Hope it turns out to be benign.

NewPro said...

Jesus coach, Now i have to bump one of my Offical picks for top four. In the future could you run any career moves by me please. Hope everything healthwise works itself out and I look forward to seeing San antonio X-Factor on the podium

Baca Loco said...

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. It is appreciated.

dan--I may take you up on that offer. :)

I am expecting an awesome season this year no matter what teams you root for. I think the fans are in for a lot of fun and excitement.

Dave Painter said...

Paul,

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Best of luck to you and x-factore - we look forward to meeting up with the team on the field come Sunday.

Baca Loco said...

Thanks Dave. Time for everybody to strap on their harnesses extra tight this year. Gonna be fun. See y'all in Dallas. (I still need to get my "accomplice" T-shirt!)

PbReplay said...

Paul, best of the lucks!!!