Monday, December 7, 2009

The Monday Poll

This will be the last Monday Poll before an end of the year hiatus I expect to last anywhere from two weeks to a month. By then things should be cracking again as next season player, team & league info is released.
Since I'm busy at the moment--fending off irate Princes of Paintball among other things--it seems a good time to keep the poll simple and upbeat. Name your all time favorite venue for a tournament. I will include 'Other' once again and would really be interested in having the handful of 'other' voters take a moment to comment on their fave. (Yeah, I know, fat chance.) (With some of the MS events I'm gonna just name countries, others by event and the same for some of the Old Skool options I'm tossing in for the geriatric crowd. Try not to get confused between specific events and the location where an event occurred.) [Nope--turns out I stayed with cities, mostly.] (Though some choices will undoubtedly be chosen on the basis of memories of a specific time and place.) If a venue is completely unfamiliar you can probably look it up over at WARPIG which has a terrific archive of tourney reports and photos. It's before your time, Cephalopod. (Link on the sidebar.)

UPDATE: 3 votes for 'Other' so far and not one comment. Really, kids, why bother? I wonder how many of the Disney WC votes are nostalgia votes. What a weird thought.

Monday Poll in Review
Who will be playing PSP pro in 2010? What's the "likely"cutoff percentage? I guess that's open to interpretation so let's go top 8 vote getters with the next two as runners up. That will give us a 10 team pro division (and I don't really see more than that competing.)
Beginning at the bottom with 1% of the vote are the Bushwackers closely followed by Joy Division (6%) and Arsenal (12%). While Joy isn't given much of a chance I know Mags and the boys would love to take on the challenge and 4 trips stateside compared to 5 Euro events might not be as impossible as it seems. And of course there's the MS gun sponsorship that wouldn't be an issue over here. Arsenal seems less likely given T4's involvement in NPPL 2.0 but they are a team with the resources to play both. XSV & the Dogs finished at 20% and 23% respectively. Rumor has been that the Dogs are looking to move into 7-man and for XSV it's probably a matter of final sponsorship numbers and whether or not the team wants to add some outside talent or continue building up. Next up are the Hurricanes and Impact, both with 46% of the vote. Both camps have had some rumors floated about their intentions for the upcoming season and while it may be the 'Canes need sufficient sponsorship to keep up, Impact can and will do whatever Bart wants. If one or both aren't there next season it will be paintball and PSP's loss.
And the runners up are: Aftershock (54%) and X-Factor (60%). The uncertainty here is with X-Factor rebuilding and so little, relatively, being known about Shock's support. This is probably about right, in poll terms, but it wouldn't surprise me to see either of them when teh dust settles.
That leaves Philly (62%), Infamous (70%), Aftermath (82%), Damage (82%), Viscious (84%), Dynasty (90%), Red Legion (90%) & Ironmen (95%) as the top eight vote getters and most likely opening event pro division according to The Monday Poll.
I guess we'll know before too long. Best of luck to all the teams & players.

8 comments:

Missy Q said...

are the people that are choosing WWOS over HB doing that because they never actually went to a HB event? I see no other reason...

Baca Loco said...

Or perhaps the only HB event they went to was further down the beach. Nothing quite like the original. Or perhaps they actually played both and found the sandy surface wanting.

Geoff Waterman said...

Although I always like the Huntington Beach events, they were absolute hell to set-up. So I chose 'Other' because Phoenix wasnt available. I love that event, flat, short grass. No rain. Great venue to deal with. Running water/working toilets. Permanent grandstands. Perfect..

Baca Loco said...

Hurray! I have shamed Geoff into giving up the 'Other'! Thanks, Geoff. We going back to Phoenix?

Don Saavedra said...

I chose HB because of PCH Dogs. Best Chili Dogs I've ever had. And Chili Cheese Fries. And girls playing volleyball. And its local to me. And the weather never ruins things. And the volleyball girls.

Missy Q said...

Seriously Geoff, the question wasn't 'what's the hardest to set up?' now was it?

Anonymous said...

Baca, why would you even put 'Chicago badlands; as an option? You're just encouraging those throwaway joke-votes.

Geoff Waterman said...

Missy.. No it wasn't. The question was, What is your favourite. And from my position, it was Phoenix. Maybe if I was a player I would have a different point of view. But my job is setting up paintball tournaments, and that is how im going to chose my favourites. My second favourite is probably Tampa.