Monday, January 5, 2009

Did'ja Miss WELT #8?

If you did here's just a fraction of what you missed. Click on the title link and go check out the rest. You'll hate yourself if you don't.
I'm not a Hater
I'm not a hater. Really I'm not. Just misunderstood. Oh sure, if you're at the other end of the field all I want you to do is die. I know it sounds bad but it's not like it's permanent or anything. But if you get blown up, lit up and pissed off I'm okay with that. Something for the next guy in your place to think about. But it's nothing personal. Honest.
Seriously, I'm really not a hater. Off the field I'm a swell guy. Ask anybody. Well, almost anybody. Just because I don't smile, offer to shake your hand or wish you good luck before we play doesn't make me a hater. It just means I'm not a hypocrite. I don't want you to have good luck even if you're gonna need all the luck in the world. On the field we're not enemies but we aren't friends either. On the field you're the guy who wants to take something away from me and I'm the guy who is gonna do his best to see you fail. But that doesn't make me a hater.
After the game I may apologize for those shots to the neck but I'm not really sorry. (That's not completely true. I am sincerely sorry if you're a friend of mine but I ain't sorry I did it.) Doesn't mean I'm a hater. You got bunkered. Live with it. If you're gonna be mad be mad at your guy who didn't back you up. Truth is I'm coming over the top as up close and personal as possible and that patch of bare skin is just begging for it. It's screaming shoot me and there's no way this guy tries to spin–so that's what I do. And you know what? It usually works.
It ain't my fault if the referee doesn't make the call you wanted or even the one you (and half the peeps watching) are positive was the right call. Did I get that second kill after I was hit? Could be. But it is what it is. Doesn't make me a hater. If it happens fast enough who can say exactly who shot who first? And if you haven't figured out yet that the refs favor the aggressor consider this a necessary lesson learned. While you're at it ...
Quit your whining. You did not get overshot, you didn't stop coming. What do you expect if you try to run my boy down and don't stop when I shoot you? When you stop running I stop shooting. See how that works? I'm not a hater, it's your own fault you look like an avalanche of paint fell on you. If you didn't know the score before you do now. You were determined to make that move count and I was determined to make you pay the price. That ain't hate, that's paintball the way the big boys play it. And the extra five or six to the back? You earned those too.
What's a few bonusballs among competitors? If that puts you off your game then it did what it was supposed to. It ain't me being a hater. It's intimidation–and maybe even a little bit of respect. Not that I'll ever admit it.
Look, I know this brand of paintball isn't for everybody. But when the stakes are high, when the competition is tight, when the difference between winning and losing is razor thin this is the way the game is played. It ain't about hate, it's about winning.

If you enjoyed that (or hated it) check out WELT #9 (coming soon) for 'Moonbats, Drillbits & Semi-auto' along with tons of other kewl stuff.

7 comments:

Christian said...

Interesting to read in its self absorbed-ness. But I get the feeling. I also would suggest that -this- this the problem to be solved and far more important than any tinkering with ROF.

Christian said...

"that -this- this the problem"
-- this problem filtering through the ranks as being cool. You can't expect a young guy that looks to the pinnacle of the sport and -not- emulate this attitude.

Baca Loco said...

Chris
Is it attitude or action? And, is some punk with a blaster tearing up a newbie either the same attitude or action?

Anonymous said...

This is a competitive sport and on the pro level its all about winning.. Its competition, its human nature, and its Darwinism.

Losers always whine [..], winners go home and fuck the prom queen!

bronc said...

Remember the 10-man days? The attitude was always there, but the actions weren't.

Remember the days when if you were caught cheating you were instantly cut from a team? Honor was an adult trait. Today most players can't even order a beer.

Mark790.06 said...

This boy's gonna have his work cut out for him in 2009. At 10bps he's going to have to work that trigger so much longer so peeps know he's hating...er.....playing paintball.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully people are mature enough to realize when something like overshooting is used and in the context it is used. It has become more and more frequent, but i think its fecuency is definitly caused by a snowball effect of the players that did it and started to do it in the fisrt place. It is just more common because that is how newer players view the game.